- Other drivers – Negligent drivers can cause accidents in a variety of ways. Examples include speeding, failure to take adequate care in poor weather conditions, distracted driving, or failure to observe traffic signals.
- Car manufacturers – If a car is defectively manufactured or designed and that defect causes or contributes to an accident, the manufacturer of the vehicle may be liable for any injuries that result. For example, issues such as faulty brakes or pedals that are too close together may be issues that could give rise to car manufacturer liability.
- Trucking companies or other common carriers – Companies that are in the business of transporting goods or people may be liable for the negligent acts of their employees. Examples include trucking companies, bus lines, taxi companies, or delivery companies.
- Car equipment manufacturers – If equipment such as tires, brakes, windshield wipers, or replacement parts fail and cause an accident, the manufacturer of the faulty equipment could potentially be held liable for any damages.
- Mechanics or automotive repair shops – Inevitably, cars will need to be repaired and equipment will need to be replaced. If a mechanic or a mechanic’s shop make mistakes when repairing a vehicle, they may be held liable if that error results in or contributes to an accident.
Car accidents affect millions of Americans each year, sometimes resulting in serious injuries that can significantly affect the lives of those involved. In fact, according statistics published by the United States Census Bureau, there are generally over 10 million motor vehicle accidents each year. These accidents can occur for a number of different reasons, and likewise can vary in severity from minor fender benders to serious multi-car accidents. In order to determine who is liable for the injuries that result from an accident, it is necessary to determine the cause of the accident. An experienced Indianapolis personal injury lawyer will know where to look to find evidence of fault, and can help victims obtain the maximum possible settlement or award for their injuries. Below are some of the more common sources of legal liability in car accidents.““In Atlanta, car accident injury cases are the most frequent type of injury case handled by personal injury lawyers due to the amount of accidents that happen each day on the major roads traveled each day and due to the severity of injuries often related to high speed accidents.”– Ted Spaulding, attorney at Boling Rice LLC