I was hit by a car while walking- what damages am I entitled to?

April 15, 2016 | Pedestrian Accidents

In pedestrian car accident cases, the type of damages the pedestrian is entitled to will usually fall into these main categories:

-Medical expenses

-Lost wages

-Pain and suffering

Now, lets consider each of these categories in turn.

Medical Expenses

This category of damages is probably the most simple. In the event that a negligent driver hits a pedestrian, the driver should pay for any of the pedestrian’s medical expenses that may arise.

Lost Wages

The driver must compensate a pedestrian for any days the pedestrian may have missed from work as a result of the injuries sustained.

Pain and Suffering

There is no formula for damages for pain and suffering. However, the amount is loosely based on how serious the injuries are, the amount and type of treatment obtained, and whether or not there is any permanent impairment or disfigurement. Courts, however, attempt to define damages for pain and suffering by awarding them as a part of the personal injury lawsuit.

Other Damages

You may be entitled to compensation for other damages, such as disfigurement. And, if any property was damaged, you are also entitled to compensation for that as a separate claim from your injuries. To make sure you are aware of all the damage claims you can make, you should obtain a free consultation from a personal injury attorney.

What next?

If you are injured as the result of a pedestrian car accident, and the driver is at fault for the accident, the driver will likely be responsible for the accident. At that point, you can initiate an injury claim with the driver’s car insurance carrier.

You should always obtain a consultation with an attorney before talking to a claims adjuster. Indiana is a comparative fault state, and the insurance company adjuster will take your statement and usually try to find a way to make you either partially or entirely at fault. This will reduce the value of your claim.

Contact Indiana Attorney Merry Fountain

If you were a pedestrian injured in an auto accident, your main concern should always be on your physical and mental recovery. However, it is critical to contact an attorney as soon as possible.

If you were injured by a car call the Fountain Law Firm. Indianapolis personal injury lawyer Merry Fountain is a skilled injury advocate. If you are looking for an Injury Law Attorney we are here to help! Our office is available 24/7 and consultations are always free, in depth, and given by Merry Fountain personally. Merry Fountain advocates fiercely for her clients and understands how challenging it can be to navigate the legal system. We want to help you. Merry will meet with you in her office or come to your home.

Call Merry Fountain anytime at 1-888-242-HURT (4878) for a free consultation.