Indianapolis Burn Injuries Lawyer
Serious burn injuries are among the most painful and debilitating injuries suffered by victims of accidents. If you have sustained burn injuries through someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to pursue full and fair compensation for your losses. Call an Indianapolis burn injury lawyer at our law office for your personal injury claim today.
Why Fountain Law Firm, P.C. for Burn Injuries?
- Our law office understands the value of burn injury claims and how important full financial recovery is to your future. Our lead Indianapolis personal injury attorney, Merry Fountain, will be as tough as she needs to be to get you the settlement you deserve.
- We invest the time and effort necessary to prove liability in your personal injury claim, understand defense strategies, and prove causation and damages. We have a comprehensive understanding of burn injury cases and can craft legal strategies to fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
- Merry Fountain will personally handle your personal injury claim from start to finish. We accept only a select number of cases, so she can be always available to her clients.
Contact Fountain Law Firm, P.C. today for the personal, dedicated legal representation you need for a burn injury.
Burn Injury Statistics
As stated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Every year in the U.S., 1.1 million burn injuries require medical attention.
- Approximately 50,000 of these burn injury cases require hospitalization.
- 20,000 are major burns involving at least 25% of total body surface.
- Approximately 4,500 of these burn injury victims die.
- Up to 10,000 people in the U.S. die every year of burn injury related infections.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
According to the American Burn Association’s Burn Incidence Fact Sheet, the survival rate for burn injuries is 96.8%. Causes of burn injuries for which patients were admitted to burn centers in a recent year were:
- Fire/flame (43%)
- Scalding (34%)
- Contact with hot surfaces (9%)
- Electrical contact (4%)
- Chemical burns (3%)
- Other (7%)
Who Is Liable?
Many burn injuries are caused by negligence. For example:
- Defective products can cause fires in residences, industrial settings, and on the road. Manufacturers who produce products that cause injury to consumers may be held liable for the damage their products cause.
- Burn injuries can occur on properties that are not up to fire codes or do not have adequate escape routes in case of fire. If a hazardous condition on the property led to burn injuries, the property owner may be held liable for the burn victims.
- Victims of car or truck accidents may suffer burn injuries caused by contact with hot metal or steam or hot water escaping from a damaged radiator. In such a case, the at-fault driver who caused the crash may be liable for resulting injuries. If mechanical systems in the vehicle were below standard and therefore failed to prevent burn injuries, the vehicle manufacturer may also be held accountable.
Steps to Take After a Burn Injury in Indianapolis
If you or somebody you care about has sustained a burn injury in Indianapolis, there are various steps that you can take to both ensure your well-being and help recover the compensation you are entitled to.
- Call 911 and seek medical care. After a burn injury occurs, it is important to call number one so emergency medical services can get to you. Even if you do not think the burn injury is an emergency, please let EMS come check you out and take you to the hospital if needed. If you choose not to let an ambulance take you to the hospital, you need to have a friend or family member take you to an emergency center.
- Gather evidence if you can. It may be possible to gather evidence after a burn injury occurs, but we do not recommend doing so if you need to seek immediate medical care or if the situation is a current emergency. Depending on the mechanism of the burn injury, you may be able to gather evidence such as photographs of the cause of the burn, video of the surrounding area, surveillance footage from nearby cameras, and the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses.
- Contact a skilled attorney. If your burn injury was caused by the careless or negligent actions of another individual or entity, you need to reach out to an attorney immediately. A lawyer can use their resources, conduct a thorough investigation, and work to negotiate a full settlement on your behalf.
- Continue all medical treatment. It is critically important for you to continue all medical treatments recommended by your doctor or surgeon. This includes any follow-up doctor visits, physical therapy or rehabilitation, the use of medical devices, and taking advantage of any in-home care and vocational rehab needed. If you discontinue medical treatment against a doctor’s advice, this could be taken as a sign by insurance carriers that you are not as injured as you claim.
Types of Compensation Available for Burn Injury Victims
There may be various types of compensation available to burn injury victims in Indianapolis. If the burn injury was caused by the actions of another party, then there is likely that a range of economic and non-economic compensation could be awarded through an insurance settlement or as a result of a personal injury lawsuit. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Economic damages. These are also referred to as “special damages” and revolve around the calculable aspects of a burn injury. This can include a victim’s:
- Medical bills
- Surgical expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Prescription medications or medical devices
- Lost wages if they cannot work
- Transportation costs to and from medical visits
- Property damage expenses
- Non-economic damages. These are also referred to as “general damages,” though this is not as easy to calculate as the economic damages mentioned above. Non-economic losses revolve around more immeasurable aspects of a burn injury victim’s:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional suffering
- Loss of quality of life damages
- Loss of consortium for a spouse or family members
Why You Need an Indianapolis Burn Injury Lawyer
Serious burn injuries may require extensive medical treatment and time away from work and may cause permanent impairment, devastating medical bills, and loss of earning capacity. Obtaining a full recovery of damages is essential to your future. At Fountain Law Firm, P.C., we can thoroughly investigate your accident, determine cause and liability, assess the full extent of your losses, and fight aggressively and effectively for the compensation you and your family need to move forward.
Connect with Fountain Law Firm, P.C.
At Fountain Law Firm, P.C. in Indianapolis, IN, we are tough advocates for injured people. Call one of our Indianapolis burn injury attorneys right away if you or your loved one has suffered burn injuries and high medical bills through someone else’s negligence.