Indianapolis Texting and Driving Accident Lawyer
Texting and driving is a common problem on America’s roadways, when drivers choose to have their eyes on their phones rather than the road ahead. If you have been injured in a crash caused by a driver who was texting, seek legal counsel from an Indianapolis texting and driving accident attorney. Personal injury lawyer Merry Fountain can help you pursue compensation for injuries sustained in a texting and driving accident.
Why Choose Fountain Law Firm, P.C. for a Distracted Driving Case?
- We handle all our cases on a contingency-fee basis. You pay us no fees until we recover compensation for you.
- Our accident attorneys understand the value of texting and driving motor vehicle accident cases and how important your financial recovery is to moving forward.
- We can develop legal strategies to fight for the best possible outcome and will be as tough as we need to be to resolve your case.
- Merry Fountain is an experienced personal injury lawyer who is committed to each client, call us for a free consultation.
What Makes Texting while Driving So Dangerous?
Any form of distracted driving is dangerous. As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), texting is the most alarming distraction. Sending or receiving a text takes the driver’s eyes off the road for five seconds at a time, which at 55 mph is equivalent to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed. Texting takes visual, manual, and cognitive attention away from operating a motor vehicle.
Is Texting and Driving Illegal in Indiana?
According to the government of Indiana, texting while driving is not only dangerous, it is also illegal in Indiana. Effective July 1, 2011, it is unlawful while driving in Indiana to type, read, or transmit text or email messages on a communication device. Drivers who violate this law face fines of up to $500.
Distracted Driving Statistics
NHTSA reports that:
- 3,166 people were killed in distracted driving crashes in the U.S. in a recent year.
- An estimated 17% of all police-reported crashes in a recent four-year period were affected by driver distraction.
- An estimated 421,000 people were injured by distracted driving in a single recent year.
- 10% of fatal crashes were distraction-affected.
- 10% of all drivers ages 15 to 19 involved in fatal crashes were distracted at the time of the wreck.
- Economic costs of distracted driving accidents totaled $46 billion in a recent year.
Why You Need an Indianapolis Texting and Driving Lawyer
To recover damages for injuries suffered in a distracted driving accident, you must show that the at-fault driver was distracted at the time of the crash. Indianapolis injury attorney Merry Fountain has the knowledge, skills, and resources to thoroughly investigate your accident and obtain evidence to support your claim, including:
- Police report: A documented police report can be used as evidence in court to support your claim.
- Admissions made by the at-fault driver: In some cases, the distracted driver who caused the accident may apologize or admit fault to the victim after a crash.
- Eyewitnesses to the crash: We can subpoena any witnesses to the crash to testify as to distracted driving behavior.
- Cell phone records: These records may be subpoenaed and used as proof that the other driver was texting at the time of the wreck.
- Photos or videos: Surveillance camera footage and other videos may catch distracted drivers in the act.
Contact Fountain Law Firm, P.C. Today
If someone who was texting while driving caused your accident and injuries, you have a right to pursue compensation for the losses you have suffered. Call Fountain Law Firm, P.C. in Indianapolis, IN as soon as possible for the dedicated legal advocacy you need.