What to do After a Truck Accident
January 25, 2016 | Blog,truck accident
Truck accidents impact thousands of people every year. In fact, according data published by the United States Department of Transportation there were over 500,000 accidents involving commercial vehicles in 2011 alone. Being involved in a trucking accident can result in significant injuries that may require long-term medical care and even affect a person’s ability to work. As a result, it extremely important that people who have been involved in a tractor-trailer accident take appropriate steps afterwards to make sure that their legal rights are protected. Here are some things a person should do immediately following a truck accident:
First 5 Steps To Take
- Attend to all injuries – After a semi-truck accident, you should call 911 immediately to ensure that trained paramedics arrive as quickly as possible.
- Do not give a statement regarding what happened to anyone except the investigating police officer –It is especially important not to discuss liability with the other driver(s). Liability is a legal determination.
- Record information – Document as much information about the accident as possible. This can include details such as the license plate numbers of the vehicles involved, the names of the drivers, the name of the trucking company operating the truck, and contact information of any witnesses to the crash. If possible, take photos of the immediate aftermath of any damage to vehicles or property.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you injuries do not seem to be severe, you should always undergo a thorough medical evaluation after a truck accident. There are certain types of injuries that may not develop symptoms for several days after the injury is sustained. By having them diagnosed by a professional, you can be sure that your injuries are properly treated and documented. This documentation can help establish that the injuries were caused by the accident and also help in determining the appropriate level of compensation.
- Consult with an attorney – Finally, be sure to contact an attorney after being involved in a tractor-trailer accident. An experienced truck accident lawyer can help you determine whether and against whom you have a claim, and also help you obtain the maximum possible settlement or award for your injuries.
In Indianapolis, regarding injury law and finding an tough attorney or lawyer to fight for you,
Contact Fountain Law Firm in Indianapolis
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. Our firm is committed to helping people injured by the negligence of truck drivers recover for their injuries. We never represent at-fault trucking companies or corporations, only injured people. In order to schedule a free consultation with Indianapolis truck accident lawyer Merry Fountain, call our office today at (317) 917-7873. If you would prefer to reach us via email, please complete the contact form available on the right side of this page.