Graduation Season and Drunk Driving Accidents

May 23, 2017 | Car Accidents

With May finally here and the summer months just around the corner, many young people in the Indianapolis area are looking forward to starting the next chapter and graduating from high school, college, or graduate school. As a result, there will inevitably be graduation parties happening in the area, many of which will involve the consumption of alcohol.

As younger people tend to drink more heavily, these parties often result in more drunk drivers on the road during graduation season, increasing your risk of being involved in a drunk driving crash. Fortunately, if you are hurt in an accident caused by a driver who was under the influence of alcohol, there is a strong chance you will be able to recover compensation for the losses you have sustained.

Here are some of the things you should do immediately following an accident with a drunk driver in order to protect your legal rights:

  • Call the Police: It always is a good idea to call the police after you have been involved in an accident. If the other driver is drunk, he or she may try to suggest that you simply exchange information and forgo making a police report. Do not agree to do this. If you suspect that he or she may have been drinking, it is important to contact law enforcement to assess the driver’s sobriety and make an arrest if necessary.
  • See a Physician: Being able to establish your damages is an essential part of maximizing your recovery after a drunk driving accident. For this reason, you should always see a doctor after you have been hurt in an accident so your injuries are identified and you start the appropriate course of treatment as soon as possible. 
  • Talk to an Attorney: You should always speak with a lawyer after being hurt in an accident, even if the insurance company has already made a settlement offer. Your lawyer will ensure that your rights are protected and that any settlement you accept fully compensates you for the losses you have sustained.


Contact the Fountain Law Firm Today to Speak with an Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney

At the Fountain Law Firm, P.C., we have successfully helped many car accident victims obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries and related losses. To make sure that you receive all of the compensation to which you are entitled, it is important to have an experienced car accident attorney handling your case. Attorney Merry Fountain can help you today by meeting in her office or by meeting in your home. Call Merry Fountain anytime at 1-888-242-HURT (4878) for a free consultation.