Slip and fall accidents are consistently among the most common causes of accidental injury in the Indianapolis area. They can occur virtually anywhere that people regularly walk, including malls, shopping centers, grocery stores, and restaurants. When these accidents are the result of negligence of the party responsible for the maintenance of the property, victims are legally entitled to recover compensation for the losses they have sustained.
Examples of Hazardous Conditions that Can Lead to Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners have a duty to keep their premises free from any unreasonably dangerous conditions, and a failure to do so will likely constitute legal negligence. There are a wide variety of slip and fall hazards that are often the result of negligence, including the following:
- Exposed electrical wiring
- Cracked pavement
- Slippery floors
- Exposed electrical wiring
- Poor lighting
- Building code violations
- Stairwells without handrails
Preserving Your Rights after a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are involved in a slip and fall accident, there are certain steps that you should take in order to protect your right to recover compensation. These include the following:
- Fill Out an Incident Report: If your slip and fall occurred in a place of business, you should fill out an incident report with the management and make sure that it accurately describes the incident.
- Take Photographs if You Can – If you are physically able to do so and have a camera or a smartphone equipped with a camera, take photographs of the scene of your slip and fall accident. Take pictures from multiple angles and take care to ensure that the hazardous condition that caused your fall is clearly visible.
- Seek Medical Attention: You should seek medical attention after a slip and fall, even if you do not think that your injuries are particularly severe. By having a doctor evaluate you, you can ensure that your injuries are identified and documented and that you begin treatment as soon as possible.
- Speak to an Attorney: After a slip and fall accident, you should retain a lawyer as soon as you can. An attorney will make sure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled and that you do not say or do anything that could hurt your chances of recovering compensation.
Call an Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney Today
At the Fountain Law Firm, P.C., we have successfully helped many slip and fall victims obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries and related losses. To make sure that you receive all of the compensation to which you are entitled, it is important to have an experienced slip and fall attorney handling your case. Attorney Merry Fountain can help you today by meeting in her office or by meeting in your home. Call Merry Fountain anytime at 1-888-242-HURT (4878) for a free consultation.